is a small hill top town and civil parish in East Sussex, England,
on the River Rother, and at the western edge of the Walland Marsh, part
of the Romney Marshes.
town's economy relies heavily on tourism because of its historical
buildings in the town include St Mary's parish church, the Ypres Tower,
Lamb House and many of the houses on Mermaid Street, Watchbell Streeet,
and Church Square.
received its first town charter under the Normans; and was fortified
during the reign of King Stephen
not one of the original Cinque Ports, Rye had became one by the 13th
century, providing nine ships to the federation
lost its importance as a port when the coastline changed as a result
of storms and long shore drift, and the town is now two miles (3.2
km) from the sea. It still has some trade.
Robert Naunton mentions it as the first place he visited in his book
Travels in England, published sometime between 1628 and 1632.
Daniel Defoe and William
Cobbett also mention the town in the course of their travels.
Rye, a Royal Navy minesweeper, was named for the town during the Second
INDEX A - Z
SHOW and GYMKHANA
VALLEY - EXCEAT
AND BOROUGH COUNCILS
THINGS TO DO GUIDE
BATTLE OF HASTINGS
MILL, OLD HEATHFIELD
taste for adventure capitalists
Cola - a healthier alternative