STATION - POWERHOUSE ROOF CONSTRUCTION
loft above power house
The generating buildings were; unusually for a
coal-fired installation, constructed in timber, thought
to be of an imported Redwood variety. The building is double gabled using a three-layer
roof system, consistent with the period: truss, purlins
and rafters. According
to Ron Saunders, the building was lined inside and out
with timber boarding.
It has not been substantiated, but is widely
believed that the building originally had a slate roof.
open showing tin covering
electricity generation ceased in 1936, the building was
covered in corrugated iron as a fire precaution, which
may explain it survival of the hostilities. Presumably due to wartime shortages, some timbers were
stripped, leaving areas with just a bare wood framework.
This may have been in connection with its role a
makeshift hospital for wounded airmen.
quality of the timber joinery and internal lining,
wherever extant, is far higher than would be expected in
an industrial building.
There are mouldings and architrave on the frames
and in corners even where one may not
Electricity Generating Works Circa. 1900 - 1936
Room | Floor
Plan | Ron
Park | Machinery
House | Argus
Supply | Roof
Construction | Rural
Supply | Sussex
Express 1913 |
South East |
East Sussex CC
| English Heritage
| Sx Exp 1999