HOME | SITE
room second (or first) engine mounting
Unfortunately, the boiler room was sold to the Weald
Supply Company in the 1930's (thought to be C.1936) as
part of the takeover and compensation package.
From the evidence to date it appears to have been
dismantled and re-assembled further to the north-east.
This would also have allowed for the easier removal of
the generating machinery, and is seen as part of the
development on the districts electricity supply network.
The footings remain, as do the concrete
features include a complex water retrieval system, where
rainwater was captured, filtered over successive height
traps (of slate) and sediment beds and then fed into a
pond or chamber.
or Pump Mount ?
this time it is not clear if the
chamber was used to condense steam or to
dissipate heat to cool the generating machinery, or
indeed a mix of the two functions.
However, it is fed water from two rain water filters
built of brick and slate, as seen in the picture below.
filter feeding rain to chamber
cooling chamber holds about 2,600 gallons, useably. It
with waterproof render and built of brick as a
subsurface structure. Such chambers were more commonly
used with steam turbines from 1880 to condense steam
vapour to water, or from 1890 as a heat sink to cool
However, it may have been used in a dual role
with the reciprocating machinery and if that is so, then
it was innovative cutting edge technology at the time.
unidentified boiler room mounts
Electricity Generating Works Circa. 1900 - 1936
Room | Floor
Plan | Ron
Park | Machinery
House | Argus
Supply | Roof
Construction | Rural
Supply | Sussex
Express 1913 |
South East |
East Sussex CC
| English Heritage
| Sx Exp 1999