Nelson Says: "Bankruptcy can give you a new start"


Are you considering bankruptcy?  


Provided you have no substantial assets which could be absorbed by the official receiver or any appointed trustee, declaring yourself bankrupt is now a more positive step to a financial recovery.  A trustee may not take away the tools of your trade.  He may not take away your transport, provided you need it for work.  You can keep all your clothing and personal effects.  A Bailiff does not have any right of access to your home - so you need not let them in, although they will try to tell you otherwise.


The Service is an Executive Agency of the Department of Trade & Industry which deals with insolvency matters in England & Wales and some limited insolvency matters in Scotland. The Redundancy Payments Service is part of The Insolvency Service and deals with redundancy and associated payments in England, Scotland and Wales.


I want to know about redundancy

I am a director of a company in liquidation

My company is insolvent

I am a bankrupt

I am considering bankruptcy

I am owed money by a company that is in liquidation

I am owed money by a person that is bankrupt

I am owed money by a company that has ceased trading

I am in the insolvency profession

I am interested in insolvency policy changes

I am considering bankruptcy, have been made bankrupt or have a query relating to a bankruptcy in Scotland or Northern Ireland

I am looking for information about jobs currently being advertised within The Insolvency Service


The Insolvency Service cannot give advice regarding debt-related problems. You should seek your own independent advice from a suitably-qualified professional, e.g. an accountant, or you may wish to visit your local Citizenís Advice Bureau (CAB). We recommend that you choose a professional who has been accredited by the Lord Chancellor's Community Legal Service with the CLS Quality Mark. But please donít leave it too late or you may find that professional advisers cannot help you because matters have gone too far.

The Insolvency Service publishes a number of guidance leaflets/booklets regarding insolvency procedure that can be found here. You should pay particular interest to the following:

You may also find it helpful to visit the Court Service website at

If you require the forms necessary to petition for your own bankruptcy, they can be obtained here.

A directory of local Citizens Advice offices can be found at and an advice website at Alternatively, you may wish to contact one of the organisations listed in the table below. These are not the only organisations that may be able to help you. The Insolvency Service cannot accept responsibility for the information, advice, or other services provided by these organisations.


Advisory Conciliation And Arbitration Service (ACAS)

The Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) is a public body funded by taxpayers. It offers free help and information on work-related issues. 

Call the National Helpline on 08457 474747. Lines are open Monday - Friday 9am - 4:30pm. The ACAS website contains details of the local ACAS offices:


Business Debtline

The Business Debtline provides a free telephone debt counselling service for the self-employed and small businesses facing financial hardship. Advice is free, independent and confidential.

Call Business Debtline free on 0800 197 6026. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm and there is a 24-hour answering machine service.


Citizens Advice  

Citizens Advice is a registered charity that offers free, independent and confidential advice from more than 700 locations throughout the UK.

Call 0207 833 2181 to find your local CAB. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm. The Citizens Advice website contains a directory of local CAB offices. For advice, visit the CAB Advice Guide website at

Community Legal Service (CLS)

The Community Legal Service (CLS) is run by the Legal Services Commission (LSC) and it replaces what was previously known as legal aid. The CLS Directory lists solicitors and advice agencies in your area.

Call the Directory Line on 0845 608 1122. Lines are open Monday to Sunday from 9am to 5.30pm. You can find a CLS-approved legal advisor using the CLS Directory. This directory is available at your local library or at This website is available in English, Welsh, Urdu, Bengali, Chinese, Punjabi and Gujarati. 

Consumer Credit CounsellingService (CCCS)

The CCCS is a registered charity dedicated to 
providing free, confidential counselling and money management assistance to families and individuals in financial distress. They provide counselling on budgeting; advice on the wise use of credit; and, where appropriate, achievable plans to repay outstanding debts.

Call free on 0800 138 1111. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm. The website is


Consumer Gateway 

This is a one-stop service run by the Department of Trade and Industry. The website provides online access to information and advice for customers. 

The website is


National Debtline

National Debtline provides free, confidential and 
independent expert advice over the telephone for anyone experiencing financial difficulty. Callers will receive a free self-help information pack.

Call free on 0808 808 4000. Lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 9pm and Saturdays from 9.30am to 1pm. There is a 24-hour answerphone. The National Debtline website address is

1 APRIL 2004   Enterprise Act Reforms


On 1 April 2004 the provisions of the Enterprise Act 2002 relating to personal insolvency come into force. The business world is bracing itself for a significant increase in the numbers of people willing to declare themselves bankrupt, particularly in the area of consumer credit, given the possibility of the bankruptcy restrictions lasting for less than a year.


Insolvency Reform under the Enterprise Act (draft legislation)

Our information leaflets/booklets

Glossary of Insolvency Terms

Frequently Asked Questions

General Enquiries


Official Receivers Addresses

The Individual Insolvency Register

The Disqualified Directors Hotline

Information for and about Insolvency Practitioners

Insolvency Practitioner Banking

Insolvency Practitioner Database Search

Press Release Register

Consultation Register


Complaints Procedure - Site Search - Search The DTI - DTI Homepage - UK Online




Free Classified section. If you have something to sell, or you have a requirement just post it in this section. No password is required.
Businesses for Sale
Businesses or other assets that are in the hands of the receivers, liquidators, administrators, auctioneers which are being sold.
Insolvency notices and databases
Search our databases for companies subject to external reorganisation. (Liquidation, receivership, administration).
All databases are updated at least once a week.
All the UK Creditors Meetings (Forthcoming Liquidations)
Companies requesting creditors meetings.
All the UK Liquidations
Companies that are in liquidation.
All the UK Receiverships and Administrations
Companies that are in receivership or administration.
All the UK Dividend announcements
Dividend annoucements By liquidators, trustees.
Insolvency News
Mailing lists
Receive the liquidations, receiverships (liquidations) or your legal update (insol-news) or the businesses companies for sale (assets) by email

Insolvency Law and FAQ's
Answers to your general queries and The Law on Insolvency.
Including the full text of the Insolvency Act 1986
Options under Insolvency UK- (a brief summary)
The various options under insolvency according to the Insolvency Act 1986. What is a Liquidation, Receivership, Individual Voluntary Arrangement, Bankruptcy and when are they used.
Conferences and Courses for Insolvency
Insolvency courses and conferences mainly for Insolvency Practitioners and Insolvency Lawyers

Firms of Insolvency Practitioners (IP) on the WEB
Talk to the professionals if you have financial difficulties. Do not leave it too late. All the firms on this listing will talk to you initially for free.

Search for an Insolvency Practitioner (IP), firm
Search in any way you want: by firm, email, city, name telephone number etc

Solicitors , Barristers Specialising in Insolvency
Do you need specialist advice: on litigation, property issues, directors duties in insolvency, and general insolvency advice? Talk to the specialist law firms.

Surveyors, Auctioneers and Valuers
Firms specialising in the disposal of liquidated stocks and assets.