The exact date when the then owner of Lime Park - Baron
de Roemer, constructed the generating station is not
can however estimate that it was between 1884 and 1893.
The estimate is based firstly, on the knowledge
that after 1884 most generators were direct coupled high
speed engines and secondly because the well bell is
clearly marked 1893 and the well was not known of
also know from a pulley
unearthed on site, that at least one (the first) engine
used belts and pulleys.
bell dated 1893
Park is first mentioned in 1555, when it consisted of a
park of about 100 acres surrounding a manor house called
1820 the estate was described as consisting of a
farmhouse, hop oast, barn, two stables, wagon lodge and
a granary. In
1821 the Lords of the manor of Herstmonceux acquired it.
They owned it for much of the 19th
no archaeological survey has been carried out, it is
reasonable to assume that Lime House contains the
remains of the original manor house.
Lime House dates from 1870 when it was built as one
family house. The
building is constructed in the ‘Turdorbethan’ style
with timber gables, steeply pitched roofs and prominent
chimney stacks. There
are two gatehouses.
One called East Lodge is in the Park.
The other called North Lodge is some 1,000 yards
along a hardly used entrance Northwest adjacent the A271.
Also in the Park is an old stable building now
converted to residential use in the 1950's, renamed The
Old Rectory by Peter and June Townley in 1989.
House - now divided into four separate residences
Electricity Generating Works Circa. 1900 - 1936
Room | Floor
Plan | Ron
Park | Machinery
House | Argus
Supply | Roof
Construction | Rural
Supply | Sussex
Express 1913 |
South East |
East Sussex CC
| English Heritage
| Sx Exp 1999